Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
by Greg McKeown
The Way of the Essentialist isn’t about getting more done in less time. It’s not about getting less done. It’s about getting only the right things done. It’s about challenging the core assumption of ‘we can have it all’ and ‘I have to do everything’ and replacing it with the pursuit of ‘the right thing, in the right way, at the right time’. It’s about regaining control of our own choices about where to spend our time and energies instead of giving others implicit permission to choose for us.
In Essentialism, Greg McKeown draws on experience and insight from working with the leaders of the most innovative companies in the world to show how to achieve the disciplined pursuit of less.
By applying a more selective criteria for what is essential, the pursuit of less allows us to regain control of our own choices so we can channel our time, energy and effort into making the highest possible contribution toward the goals and activities that matter.
Essentialism isn’t one more thing; it is a different way of doing everything. It is a discipline you apply constantly, effortlessly. Essentialism is a mindset; a way of life. It is an idea whose time has come.
Articles, reviews, TED Talks, etc. related to the book Essentialism
1. Article from which Essentialism was expanded (Harvard Business Review) Disciplined Pursuit of Less
Aug. 8, 2012
2. Review (Hugh Culver) Book Review: Essentialism by Greg McKeown
3. Interview (NPR) Lessons in ‘Essentialism:’ Getting More out of Life by Doing Less
July 26, 2014 (6:00 mins.)
4. Review (This Is Your Life) Season 3, Episode 12: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less (Podcast)
Michael Hyatt, Michael Cushatt
April 1, 2015 (47:59 mins.)
5. Review (Forbes) Art of Essentialism
April 17, 2014
6. Video Greg McKeown: Essentialism — The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
Feb. 10, 2014 (5:02 min.)