The Geography of Genius: A Search for the World’s Most Creative Places, From Ancient Athens to Silicon Valley
by Eric Weiner
In The Geography of Genius, acclaimed travel writer Eric Weiner sets out to examine the connection between our surroundings and our most innovative ideas. He explores the history of places, like Vienna of 1900, Renaissance Florence, ancient Athens, Song Dynasty Hangzhou, and Silicon Valley, to show how certain urban settings are conducive to ingenuity. And, with his trademark insightful humor, he walks the same paths as the geniuses who flourished in these settings to see if the spirit of what inspired figures like Socrates, Michelangelo, and Leonardo remains. In these places, Weiner asks, “What was in the air, and can we bottle it?”
This link can be traced back through history: Darwin’s theory of evolution gelled while he was riding in a carriage. Freud did his best thinking at this favorite coffee house. Beethoven, like many geniuses, preferred long walks in the woods.
Sharp and provocative, The Geography of Genius redefines the argument about how genius came to be. His reevaluation of the importance of culture in nurturing creativity is an informed romp through history that will surely jumpstart a national conversation.
Articles, reviews, interviews, TED Talks, etc. related to the book The Geography of Genius
1. Review (New York Times) ‘The Geography of Genius,’ by Eric Weiner
Jan. 8, 2016
2. Interview (NPR Weekend Edition) ‘Geography of Genius’ Explores How Surroundings Influence Ideas
Jan. 10, 2016 (7:31 mins.)
3. Review (Miami Herald) Review : ‘The Geography of Genius’ by Eric Weiner
Jan. 8, 2016
4. Book adaptation (The Atlantic) What Made Ancient Athens a City of Genius?
Feb. 10, 2016
5. Review (Christian Science Monitor) ‘The Geography of Genius’ Asks Why Genius So Often Emerges in Clusters?
Jan. 14, 2016
6. Video (YouTube) The Geography of Genius
Dec. 10, 2015 (2:28 mins.)
7. Video (YouTube) Eric Weiner: ‘The Geography of Genius’ | Talks at Google
Jan. 22, 2016 (1:01 hrs.)
8. Review (The Denver Post) Book Review: ‘The Geography of Genius’ by Eric Weiner
Jan. 28, 2016